STANLEY Assembly Technologies – Adaptive Tightening Control for QBE Controllers
STANLEY Adaptive Tightening Control gives each tool the flexibility to adjust for different joint designs and variable part tolerances. Two fasteners may have the same size and torque specifications, but different joint characteristics (e.g. a hard joint versus a soft joint). Without ATC, either torque overshoot or long cycle times result. STANLEY ATC improves torque capability and reduces cycle time by automatically adjusting to joint variations, which minimizes the number of tools and set-ups, saving customers time and money.
STANLEY Control Strategy Options to Fit Production and Product Requirements
Each STANLEY strategy consists of a complete set of parameters to control and/or audit torque, angle, time, speed, and power. Each strategy may advance to the next, invisible to the operator, or pause the tool briefly to manage direction changes, multiple spindle synchronization, or relaxation and crosstalk effects.
STANLEY QBE Controllers include Basic Strategies, Smart Steps and Advanced Strategies for use with your precision fastening system.
- Wobble: creates a Smart Step with an AC/TM strategy that rotates the fastener in the opposite direction as the Audit step is programmed to overcome wobble. The fastener threads align with the locking device threads before standard forward rotation and high speed are applied (prevents cross-threads).
- Slow Seek: allows slow rotation of socket to allow the flats on the socket to meet up with / engage the flats on the fastener / nut before full rotation and fastening. When selected will be after Wobble, if no Wobble will be first, and before Self-Tap.
- Self-Tap: allows the tool to compensate for high prevailing torque applications before final tightening. When selected will be after Slow Seek and before final Torque step.
- Manual Downshift: Manual = human determines parameters and controller calculates parameters. In either case the result is the same Reduces the tool speed to a specific value (Downshift Speed) when a specific torque value (Downshift Torque) is reached during the fastening cycle. Speed units are RPM, torque is in torque units.
- Torque Control with Angle Monitoring: Most common control strategy for tightening threaded fasteners.Angle monitoring can detect changes in the joint rate, indicating process concerns.
- Angle Control with Torque Monitoring: Controls the amount of fastener rotation.Angle control can determine the component positions.
- Back Off: Backs off a fastener a selected amount of rotation
- Angle Control and Torque Control: Used for very critical joints with precision components.
- Angle Control or Torque Control: Similar to AC/TC - used for very critical joints with precision components.
- Angle Control with Torque Averaging: Averages the tolling torque from snug to the angle control target.Recalculates zero torque if used with TC/AM and the prevailing torque option.
- Rate Control with Angle Monitoring: Used to detect changes in joint rate (gradient) to identify galling, cross-threading and bottom out.
- Yield Control with Angle Monitoring: Used to detect the yield point of a fastener based on a decreasing torque versus angle rate.
- Adaptive Tightening Control: Enables the Adaptive Tightening Control algorithm to slow the tool’s speed as the torque rises. The default values can be modified for when the algorithm starts (ATC Starting Torque), when it ends (ATC Ending Torque) and the tool speed after the algorithm ends (ATC Ending Speed). The torque units are a percent of Target Torque. The speed values are a percent of Speed.
- Adaptive Tightening Control Plus: Enables the Adaptive Tightening Control Plus algorithm to slow the tool’s speed based on a sampled torque rate. The default values can be modified for when the algorithm starts monitoring rate (Threshold Low), when it stops monitoring rate (Threshold High) and the tool speed after the algorithm ends (Minimum Speed). The torque units are a percent of Target Torque. The speed values are a percent of maximum speed of the tool.