Tangless threaded inserts provide permanent, wear-resistant screw threads that completely eliminate the need for tang break-off and retrieval.
There are two styles of Heli-Coil tangless inserts. “Free-Running” tangless inserts provide a smooth free-running thread. The “Screw-Locking” tangless insert provides self-locking torque on the male member by a series of “chords” on one or more of the insert coils.
With tangless inserts no loose tangs are left behind, and they are the solution when foreign object debris (FOD) cannot be present in critical applications. They eliminate the need for tang break-off and tang retrieval and can be easily adjusted or removed after installation.
These inserts from Heli-Coil are the original coiled insert and have an extensive background of tension, torque, shear, vibration, and fatigue tests conducted by leading companies as well as the U.S. Military. Tangless inserts are manufactured using the same materials as standard inserts and provide the same superior performance characteristics. They are available in inch and metric series, coarse and fine.
- Require no staking, locking, swaging, keying, or interference fit (Free-Running).
- Automatically adjusts to any expansion or contraction of the parent material (Free-Running).
- Anchor permanently in place against the tapped hole (Free-Running).
- Positively secures threaded members against vibration or shock loosening (Screw-Locking).
- High reusability factor due to the exclusive Heli-Coil Resilient Screw-Lock which permits frequent removal and reassembly of bolt without appreciable loss of torque (Screw-Locking).
- Positive self-locking torque, complying with MIL-I-8846 and MIL-N-25027.
- Available in inch and metric series.
- Successful applications in aviation, electronics, industrial, automotive, and military.