Tangless® threaded inserts provide permanent, wear-resistant screw threads that completely eliminate the need for tang break-off and retrieval.
There are two styles of Heli-Coil® tangless® inserts. “Free-Running” tangless® inserts provide a smooth free-running thread. The “Screw-Locking” tangless® insert provides self-locking torque on the male member by a series of “chords” on one or more of the insert coils.
With tangless® inserts, no loose tangs are left behind, and they are the solution when foreign object debris (FOD) cannot be present in critical applications. They eliminate the need for tang break-off and tang retrieval and can be easily adjusted or removed after installation.
These inserts from Heli-Coil® are the original coiled insert and have an extensive background of tension, torque, shear, vibration, and fatigue tests conducted by leading companies as well as the U.S. Military. Tangless® inserts are manufactured using the same materials as standard inserts and provide the same superior performance characteristics. They are available in inch and metric series, coarse and fine.
- Require no staking, locking, swaging, keying, or interference fit (Free-Running).
- Automatically adjusts to any expansion or contraction of the parent material (Free-Running).
- Anchor permanently in place against the tapped hole (Free-Running).
- Positively secures threaded members against vibration or shock loosening (Screw-Locking).
- High reusability factor due to the exclusive Heli-Coil Resilient Screw-Lock which permits frequent removal and reassembly of bolt without appreciable loss of torque (Screw-Locking).
- Positive self-locking torque, complying with MIL-I-8846 and MIL-N-25027.
- Available in inch and metric series.
- Successful applications in aviation, electronics, industrial, automotive, and military.